Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wake Up.

I seem to cry at the drop of a hat these days. The other day on the news I saw a story about a teen who punched a older homeless man in the face. Unprovoked. I cried. I've been watching a lot of Grey's Anatomy, which has all sorts of tragic situations, and I cry. I just sent my brother a facebook post saying how much I loved him, and I cried.

There are so many ugly things that happen in this world. People hurt others for fun. People get sick. People suffer. People are homeless, and hungry. People are sad, and incredibly lonely. It's enough to make me weep just to think about it. I honestly have to not think about it so that I won't get overwhelmed by all of the sorrow and pain and darkness that is prevalent in this world.

We, I, am called to be a light in the darkness. I am called to help, not to hurt. To have hands of healing and hospitality. To feed and encourage. To be a friend, and to reach out to the hopeless. That is my calling. That is my place in this world. Not to be overwhelmed, but to love in such a way that people can see a little light in the darkness. So that they can hope, and so they can see and feel something that is good and real.

I feel like I've been stuck in this rut. This rut that appreciates what I have in life--including hope--but I don't know that I've fully understood how lucky and blessed I am. I have a tattoo that says "freely you receive, so freely give." What have a received in life? A wonderful family. How can I bring people in to make them feel part of MY family. Great friends. How can I be a better friend, and more loving, kind, and open friend? A job that gives me flexibility. How can I show my thankfulness and appreciation to my bosses in trying times like these?

I think for the past couple of months, I've thought about me, and mostly me. I've thought about my happiness, and how maybe something else could make me happy, maybe a change could make me happy. But you know what I think will make me happy? Living my destiny. Being the person I was called to be. Faith, hope, love. It's time for me to wake up. It's time for me to open my eyes to life, the life that I have been blessed with, and the life that I have been called to. I think I'm ready, help me to be ready. Help me to act and to live like I'm supposed to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment