Thursday, June 30, 2011

Speaking of Priorities

So after that general post about priorities and needing to get mine in check, I've been wanting to write a blog talking about what my life priorities are. It's hard because I'm sure they're going to change as I grow and change, and honestly, sometimes I think I know what I want--but I really don't. Yep, I admit it, I don't always know what's best for me. However, that is helped by the fact that my faith says that I have a helper--someone who has an amazing future, all the resources in the world, and an incredible, infallible love for me--and so with that guy by my side, I'm feeling pretty confident.

A priority is something that you set as important--your number one priority is something that is set in importance over everything else. My priorities have been screwed up lately, and I just want to state for the record--my record--that I want my priorities to change. I want to be a better person. I want to live my life to the fullest. I want to be everything that I was made to be.

So what does that mean? It means my number one priority has shifted back to my faith. Seeking God, and what he wants for my life takes precedence over everything else. It shapes all of my decisions, and my faith with help guide me. I know for some people this is unfamiliar, and probably seems foolish. I'm ok with that. Let me just say that I know that christianity has been represented and lived out by many people in offensive, hurtful, and unattractive ways--including myself. I know that the Bible can be confusing, and that it seems to contradict itself at times, and that it's stories seem far fetched and sometimes pretty crazy. I know pretty much all of the slams and reasons why people don't like christianity or christians. I've experienced some of those same feelings, been mistreated by people who were supposed to be "loving" and have questioned my faith multiple times.

But there's something in me, something that just knows God is real. There is something inside of me that clings to the hope and faith in a God who is good, loving, trustworthy, faithful, kind, merciful, generous, and forgiving. There's something inside of me that can't help getting excited about a faith that lifts up the underdog, that celebrates and embraces the misfits. There's a whole part of me that is intrigued and challenged when I hear things like "turn the other cheek," and "love your enemies." There's a part of my heart that soars when I see that Jesus came to help the poor, set the captives free, and bring equality to all people. There's that fact that I can identify with so many flawed people in the stories and chapters that God loved and used in wonderful ways despite their inadequacies. I can't get away from it, and no matter how hard I've tried, I can't deny that what I've experienced, seen, and just KNOW, is that God is real. So that's what shapes my life.

So there's that. My faith is going to obviously going to have an influence over my other priorities. And I've been (kinda) thinking about it a bit, and these are the ones that I've mostly come to:

Healthy living. I want my body to be healthy. I want to be strong, fit, and full of life. Exercise and eating well are going to be made priorities in my life. Getting enough sleep is also on the list.

Being generous with my time and money. I know how to give what's comfortable. I know how to have money automatically deducted from my account to causes that I like, but don't really have to think about. I want to be better about being conscious of what I'm doing with my money, as well as being better at giving my time to important causes. I don't just want to throw money at things, I want to be involved, and to truly CARE about those things.

Being there for my current friends, and developing new and deeper friendships with others. I love the people that I've surrounded myself with, and I want to be better at being open and friendly with others, as well as consistent with the friends I've lost contact with or who aren't in my immediate life vicinity.

Being financially responsible. I have a wonderful budget that I follow most of the time, and it's helped me pay off multiple debts. I want to be better at following that budget, and really getting my spending habits under control. I'm a shopaholic, and I want to be better at saying no to things that I don't need. I also want to continue to save, invest, and give more. I also want to live a life where I'm able to have fun, travel, and have all of what I need, and what I want in moderation.

Praying. Hmm, that just randomly popped in my head. I feel like I'm pretty terrible at prayer. I'm a rambler, and it's easy for me to get sidetracked and distracted. But after that experience during 40 days of prayer, and recently with everything that's been happening with friends--where I feel totally helpless--I'm finding that prayer give me comfort and peace. And hey, I believe it never hurts to ask right? Right. I'm not sure how this one is going to look, but I'm just going to go with it.

Alright, I think those are some good priorities. They speak to who I am, and what's important to me. Ok, I gotta start my yoga, then it's off to bed. Yay for 3 days weekends!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment