Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Life In Every Word

I've been burdened by thoughts of how I should act--how I should love, how I should serve the poor, how I should not react in anger, lust, envy. I've been very aware of my shortcomings, and increasingly aware of my lack of willpower in certain areas. Everything that I can't and couldn't be has been brought before me, and I have felt pretty helpless, seeking ways to make myself feel better, to feel SOMETHING, to rid myself of this need for change. When the only change that was needed, was in my heart.

I am hopelessly flawed, and ever so aware of how I come short, but with Jesus, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that I come to him unable to love completely, to rid myself of jealousy, lust, selfishness, and bitterness. It doesn't matter that I fall short in the areas of serving the poor, and helping those less fortunate than me. What matters is that I believe God. What matter is that I have faith in Christ, and that I come to him, and let him forgive me and change me for the better. I'm right, I can't do these things that I long and know to do, because I haven't put my faith in him. I've put my faith in myself. I've put my faith in my job, my friends, my lifestyle, my family and other things.

It's so simple: "We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified." Gal 2:15-16

"Consider Abraham: 'He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Gal 3:6

It is belief, that saves us. It is truly believing, that saves us, and living in that belief that gives us a full life. How can I ever think to love and be all that he wants me to be without coming to him first, by believing, and letting him change me? I can't do this on my own. I can't follow all the steps and then viola! step into this new phase of enlightenedness. No, it is him moving through me, him living in me, him breathing life and truth. What a wonderful, freeing, breathtaking truth. My next step is easy, coming to him daily, knowing that he is the way to this "Life In Every Word" that I've been wanting so desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment