Friday, May 13, 2011

One Of THOSE People

I think I'm going to become one of "those" people. You know, the people you see bicycling around the city with their gear on, rain or shine? Yea. I think I might be on my way to becoming one of them. As you all know, I've been enjoying my bike immensely ever since I've gotten it. Usually it takes me 10-12 minutes to walk home (depending on how fast or slow I'm going), so if I needed to go back to my apartment to get something, it could easily turn into a 30 minute trip including me grabbing what I need and such. Today, it took me ten minutes to bike to my apartment, grab what I needed, feed and pet Shakira, and then get back. And of course I was so excited about that that I forgot to actually SEND the document that I went to my apartment to get until just now. I'm such a ditz sometimes :) It's just such an awesome and convenient mode of transportation--especially in a city like Seattle.

As I'm paying off my debt, I'm thinking of getting out of this apartment managing business and buying my own place. There are so many affordable condos out there, and now that I have a vehicle to commute with, living in Greenwood, Lake City, Shoreline, Maple Leaf, or any of the outskirts of Seattle proper doesn't seem so unappealing. It actually makes them more appealing because I think of how much healthier my body would get having a longer commute.

And when I think of all of the upkeep for a car--payments, insurance, gas, oil changes, etc.--and how expensive it can be, the bike tune ups, new chains, tires, and other gear I need to become a rainy day commuter don't seem as daunting. Sure, it's an investment at first, but having a bike will be easier on the environment, better for my body, and lighter on my pocketbook. I think that if I ever get married, and the situation would be possible, I'd want to be a one car household. It would be nice for myself or whoever I'm with to be able to bike to work, and use the car for recreational activities vs. everyday getting around.

This completely blows my mind because I don't think I would be on this side of this conversation even 6 months ago. I was scared of getting a bike because of hills, my weight, looking stupid, and now, I'm thinking of having a bike as my main source of transportation in the future. Craziness. My life, has changed. I am so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment