Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sigh No More

Today was a rough day. Well, it started out fine. I biked to work, ate a ton of shrimp and fruits and veggies for lunch, beat my coworkers in Bump from the 3 pointer line (!!!), and just laughed a lot. Then I got hurt playing basketball, we were short staffed and the kids were INSANE, and then there was some kind of weird work drama between two of the staff and I'm still not sure what it was about. It just pretty much went downhill after the basketball incident. I just realized also that I'm probably not going to be able to do yoga because of whatever happened to my thumb. Bleh.

There's nothing like music to bring me back around, to soften my bitter little heart, and to remind me that love and forgiveness are bigger than all the petty bullshit that happens.

"Love it will not betray you, dismay, or enslave you--it will set you free...be more like the man you were meant to be. There is a a design, an alignment, a cry, of my heart to see, the beauty of love--as it was made to be." Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More

This is my all time favorite M&S song. That line in itself just makes it for me, and I love the builidup and simplicity of it all. Remembering love, how I'm supposed to love, and what it means to love brings so much freedom to my life. Even in this moment when I'm just emotional over small things, love loosens up the hardness in my heart and helps me to let go. It helps me to stop obsessing, to stop picking over the details over how so and so wronged me, how opportunities were lost, and it just leaves me with peace.

I want to be a person who is shaped and designed by Love. That second line, where it says there is 'a cry of my heart to see, the beauty of love as it was made to be' just hits me straight in the gut and makes me weep and hope for the day when Love will triumph. I want that today, everyday. I want it now, and I know that we can bring Love into the world through our actions and who we are as people, but sometimes it just seems like the world is so...hopeless. That people are so full of hate, anger, malice and jealousy, and that love is forgotten, thrown to the wayside. Sometimes I forget and I am so wrapped up in myself.

 I don't know what else to say, except that I'm glad that I have this moment and this day to say "I will love better." I can show love and be love to those around me, and that's all I can do. That's what I was designed to do right? Right. And I'm so thankful there are people out there who feel the same way. Alrighty, I'm going to get my tired mind and body to bed. After a little more Mumford of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment